HOW DO I GET RID OF SKUNK SMELL ON MY PET?

Krebaum's Formula
      1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (Make sure it is not expired)
      1/4 Cup Baking Soda
      1 teaspoon liquid dish soap (Dawn works the best)
Mix in a bucket and sponge over entire area taking care NOT to get in or near eyes, nose or mouth. Leave on for 10 minutes.  Follow with a thorough tap water rinse. May need to repeat.


MY PET HAS BEEN VOMITING - WHAT SHOULD I DO?

1. First ask yourself if your animal has been exposed or eaten anything harmful?
Examples would be: Mouse/Rat poison, poisonous plants, chemicals such as pesticides, cleaners etc.
If the answer is yes, IMMEDIATELY contact the Pet Poison Hotline at 1-800-213-6680, or visit www.petpoisonhelpline.com, then contact a veterinarian. 
2. If the answer is no, then check if there has been anything new fed to your pet.
Treats, a change of food, or if your pet has been given any people food.  If so be sure to stop access to these items.
3. Could they have eaten something they shouldn’t have? 
Examples would be pieces of toys (stuffing, squeaker, the toy itself), garbage, compost, string, rope bird seed, suet (maybe it drops on the ground?) or fryer grease? 
If there is a possibility that they have eaten any mouse or rat poison call a veterinarian (218-877-7321 for our office) or the Pet Poison Hotline at 1-800-213-6680.
4. If your pet hasn’t eaten anything harmful such as poison or an object they shouldn’t, doesn’t have blood in vomit and isn’t painful, restless or bloated you can try the following GI Diet. (Please note that this is not a substitute for Veterinary care. Hospitalization may be necessary in severe cases or ones in which the pet has any symptoms mentioned above.)
Withhold all food and water until vomiting stops – this may be several hours, but do not withhold water longer than 12 hours to prevent dehydration.  Once there has been at least 6-8 hours since last vomiting episode water may be offered.  
         Rules for reintroducing water:
         Keep it room temp – cold water will upset the stomach.
         Keep amounts small – Example: For a Lab-sized dog ¼ - ½ cup at a time, every 1 hour. For a Dachshund-sized dog 1-2 Tbsp. at a time every 1 hour. As long your pet does not have any more vomiting you may keep offering water in slowly increasing amounts. 
Once your pet is able to drink all the water they would like without any vomiting, then it is time to try and introduce food.

The GI Diet consists of cooked white rice or baby rice cereal and a small amount of fat free cottage cheese.  If you have a large dog such as a Lab, feeding instructions would be ½ cup cooked white rice with 1 Tbsp. fat free cottage cheese.  For a smaller dog, such as a Dachshund, start with 1-2 Tbsp. rice and 1 tsp fat free cottage cheese.  You could also use potato instead of rice.  Potato can be red or white – but not sweet potatoe.  Steamed, baked or boxed mash potatoes only. Serve WITHOUT skin.
Must the cottage cheese be fat free?
YES! If not, the fat will start things up again - causing your poor critter to once again feel awful.
         Remember to keep meals small and feed 3-4 times a day.  Slowly increase amounts given at each feeding as long as your pet is doing well.
         You can also add small amounts of boiled hamburger or chicken breast with no skin or bone.
         Dump out any water remaining from boiling these items.  This contains fat and is not good for your pet! 
I have some fried hamburger already cooked, is that okay?
NO! Just like the fat in the cottage cheese, this will likely start things all over again or make them worse.
My pet is feeling better - how do I switch him/her back to regular food?
The key here is SLOWLY.  Keep them on the GI diet and slowly add in their regular food.  Feed 75% GI diet and 25% Regular diet.  Each day decrease GI diet and increase Regular diet until completely switched back to the pet’s regular food.  This should take about 5-7 days.


If at any time your pet’s condition becomes worse, or does not improve after 24 hours, Cedar Grove Veterinary Clinic recommends that they are seen by a Veterinarian!

  Dr. Nadder Samari is a veterinary surgeon, available to care for your pet!

Dr. Nadder Samari is a veterinary surgeon, available to care for your pet!


WHY DOES MY PET HAVE BAD BREATH?

Most often when a dog or cat has bad breath it is caused by the plaque build-up on the teeth, and gingivitis.

What is plaque?
Plaque is an invisible layer that forms on the tooth.  Some of this is removed by chewing and the animal’s tongue.  If the plaque stays on the tooth it thickens and mineralizes.  Once the plaque has mineralized it forms tartar, which then continues to accumulate above and below the gum line.  This presses on the gums causing swelling and infection also known as gingivitis.

How can I tell if my pet has plaque?
If your pet will allow, lift up their lip and check the teeth.  You may notice some yellow, brown, or green color on the teeth near the gum line.  It is also important to look at the back teeth where the buildup is most noticeable.

My pet has plaque; will it go away with brushing their teeth?
No.  Once the tartar has built up on the teeth it needs to be removed by scaling.  This is much like the process you undergo at the dentist.  After the teeth have been cleaned, daily brushing will help to slow the buildup of tartar.

Can I just use my toothpaste?
No.  Human toothpaste is not safe to use on pets, so choose a product made specifically for pets.

If I bring my pet into the vet can this be done while they are awake?
At LVH we anesthetize the animal so that we are able to thoroughly clean all surfaces of the teeth.  This is safest for your pet and our staff.  We then polish the teeth so that they have a smooth surface, preventing immediate tartar formation. 

My pet lets me scrape off the tartar at home so why would they need a dental cleaning?
First, each time tartar is scraped off there is still a rough surface on the tooth making it easier for tartar plaque to stick.  Secondly, instruments used to remove tartar will cause microscopic scratches on the tooth which is why we polish them afterwards.  When the surface is polished tartar is less likely to stick.  Thirdly, it is not possible to remove tartar under the gum line without anesthesia (this is uncomfortable) so the problem is not completely resolved.  We also apply fluoride to strengthen the tooth’s surface and decrease plaque reattachment.

Are there any other concerns with just leaving the tartar where it is?
Yes!  The tartar will continue to accumulate on the teeth further pushing the gums up higher on the tooth.  This makes the root of the tooth exposed to the harmful material and will eventually cause the tooth to decay.  This is painful for the animal and may make them not want to eat well or just over all depressed.  The bacteria that make up tartar don’t necessarily stay in the mouth.  It can travel into the blood stream and be carried to other organs in the body.  This can also cause infections in the heart valves, kidneys and/or liver. 

How often does my pet need to have his/her teeth cleaned?
This depends on the animal.  Each dog and cat is unique, just like people.  There are factors such as diet, age, breed and genetics.  Some animals have healthier teeth than others and require fewer dental cleanings over their lifetime.  Other animals may need their teeth cleaned every year.  Small breed dogs, especially those with pointy noses tend to buildup tartar more quickly.